7/22/2014

Creating Balance in Life

Don't know about you, but with the influx of Social Media, Mobile Devices, and all things tech, it is more and more difficult to create a balance in life. All the news, social comments, blogs, etc. pull at you constantly and demand your attention. There is more and more articles on the NEED to unplug from it all and get much needed breaks. In fact, more diseases are being reported from technology now. This summer, I listened to a live presentation by Carl Hooker (Eanes ISD) during iPadpalooza. He made great points on how to test to see if you are addicted to your device. He and a group of friends agreed at a restaurant agreed to lay cell phones face down and the first one that rang or got a notification had to pay for the meal. How would you do in that situation. Notifications are killing us! All the dinging, beeping, ringing. How long can you go without picking up your device? Check out this list of 10 illnesses brought on by our addiction to technology:
  1. ELECTROMAGNETIC HYPERSENSITIVITY
  2. FACEBOOK DEPRESSION
  3. REPETITIVE STRAIN INJURY
  4. PHONE HEADACHES
  5. REPETITIVE STRAIN INJURY
  6. INTERNET ADDICTION
  7. HEARING LOSS
  8. Wii INJURIES
  9. 3D HANGOVERS
  10. NARCISSISM
Fox News has a few of their own that you can read about. I predict we will soon have doctors who will be helping those addicted to technology in the near future. Parents now need to be aware and informed on how much time students are connected. What is too much? Where do you draw the line? Do you demand technology free meals? How about technology free family devotions? I will be reading more on how to balance out the disruptions in my life. I admit that I have already started unsubscribing to ALL emails that I feel are unimportant or that I can read at my own choosing. Next step...limiting notifications on my devices! Do I REALLY need to know every time an email or text comes in? Think about it, are you hooked?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged.